Despite my hope that I’d have this finished by Christmas, I’m still working away at the hand embroidery on my boro keepsake quilt … this is slow cloth at its very slowest, I think ….
I have been working on it, during the times ‘in-between’ … but I needed a break from it. The levels of concentration and energy needed to work on something this size and with this much detail are difficult to maintain over a long period of time.
The central diamond is finished … and two of the corner sections … now I’m working on the top sections. I’m mostly using perle 8 for these parts – I’ve found some gorgeous vintage colours from Chameleon Threads …. you can get them over at Lorna Bateman Embroidery. More expensive, for sure, but worth every extra penny, I think.
In between the straight rows of running stitch, there’s a pretty straightforward repeated stitch pattern … leaf stitch alternating with rosette chain wheels, detached chain stitch (or lazy daisy) flowers, and woven web stitch …
I changed things up in the centre section, with leaf stitch stars, wheat-ear stitch wheels, buttonhole wheels and little stitched stars interspersed with french knots.
I liked that star with french knots, so I’ve worked it again in the corners … only larger and in a luscious dark purple perle that glories in the name of ‘blackberry’.
And so … here it is in it’s almost finished state … I find myself strangely reluctant to actually finish with this, even though I’m desperate to see the finished piece.
and, to finish, the obligatory peek at the back, for those who like that sort of thing 😉