I’m on a little bit of a catchup with my ‘Take a Stitch Tuesday‘ 2012 challenge …. between commissions, visiting my new nephew and decorating the kitchen, weekend sewing has taken a little bit of a backseat for the last couple of weeks.
So … here we have the week 2 stitch – buttonhole. I’ve used it before, in it’s ‘purest’ form, in the ‘Til death us do part’ white cloth …
So for the challenge I wanted to try something a bit different … using the stitch to build up a picture, again … I’m not going to show you the entire piece, because I don’t like it! Still, I was pretty pleased with my spider web ….
And I like buttonhole stitch as a way of building up drifts of grasses …
I missed the week of feather stitch … I might try and combine it with this week’s challenge – herringbone stitch – when I come to it this weekend.
Moving onto this week, then, and Cretan stitch … it’s not a stitch I’ve used widely before, other than as a decorative hemming stitch. But I liked the idea of experimenting with it a little, so thought I’d do a more straightforward sampler, using the stitch for hemming, couching, and decoratively … but playing with the idea of layering fabrics and combining pieces of broken costume jewellery into the piece.
So, from the top … worked in perle 12, a fairly straightforward up-and-down to couch the cord onto the lace and the linen backing, and then using nr 3 linen floss to couch down the string of faux-pearls. Then back to the perle 12, to pick up the detail in the vintage lace and quilt it down onto the linen backing …. I thought this was really pretty.
And just visible on the strip of broderie, some layered cretan stitch in different threads – perle 12, nr 3 linen floss and perle 5.
Below that, I’ve used a very tight, closed, small, diagonal cretan stitch to create a ‘wreath’ effect along the bottom of the broderie, and then a knotted cretan stitch for the beading. Below that, closed cretan stitch to hem the organza ribbon over the strip of silk. And then couching again, to hem the strip of beaded ribbon over the edges of the silk and the lace trim.
Overall, I’m pretty happy with the finished piece … I’ve fringed the edges of the backing linen and I think it’s a pretty little valentine … I’m going to back it, and put a sleeve on it, and hang it on a wall (permanently, without the nasty pins!).