Tag Archives: keepsake quilt

Boro Keepsake Quilt: Eve’s Garden, finished

Well, finally!!

I’ve been a bit quiet lately, and for that I apologise … I needed to have surgery on my knee and it made sitting at a desk for any length of time very uncomfortable … thankfully, things are getting much, much better now, although full recovery still looks a way off.

The upside is that, being confined to feet-up-on-the-sofa, I’ve been able to spend a lot of time working on the embroidery for my Eve’s Garden boro keepsake quilt – and it’s finished!! YAY!! Almost a year since I started on it, working in the quiet times between, and around 100 hours of work later, it is DONE. Finished. Bound. Closed.

boro keepsake quilt

Am I happy? Yes, oh yes.

I love the way the stitching runs at a diagonal across the boro, drawing the eye across the fabric ….

And the colours, the colours, so soft but still vivid and cheerful. And the chameleon perle no 8 thread is perfect. Even the names are wonderful – blackberry, hydrangea, misty mauve, silver birch, sugar and spice – and help add to the atmosphere of vintage cottage garden – formally structured, but soft and loose within that formality.

I had my doubts, initially, about the little sprinkles of paprika-hot orange, but I think now that the contrast works well and I’m glad I left it.

And the back is almost – almost – as lovely as the front.

I am glad it’s done and dusted …. but I’m going to miss working on it, in a perverse sort of way. It looks great on my burlap-covered chair, though …. I’m just enjoying it at the moment, looking and remembering that this strip of blue-and-white checked was once my eldest daughter’s baby dress, or that strip of amethyst satin came from the remnants of a princess dress I made for her, that the pretty, fragile, aqua floral was my youngest’s dress, that my son’s ripped-out-knees jeans made up most of the denim.

Letters to my Grandchildren

No, not my grandchildren – I haven’t got any!! This is the¬†last of my pre-Christmas speshal sekrit projects, that I’m now allowed to talk about ūüėČ

A totally handmade quilt, using¬†recycled fabrics and little babyknits, and incorporating letters from the recipient’s mother (sadly now deceased) to her grandchildren.

It’s a quilt covering four generations, and was made for a lady who is now a grandmother herself – she has three children, and six grandchildren – using the baby woollens *her* mother had knitted.

It all came about from the lovely little baby knits that had been saved, and passed down and around the family, so that all the babies had worn most of them at some point or another.

I really, really didn’t want to cut into the knits … they were too darling, and it was in my mind that should the great-grandchildren want to, they could always remove them from the quilt and use them again. There was also the issue that the knits weren’t all wool – some were acrylic and some were cotton, so not amenable to felting. (I accidentally attempted to felt an acrylic jumper once … I’ve never seen anything GROW so much – that’ll teach me to read labels!!).

So …. I made each of these 9 little knits into a separate square for each of the children and the grandchildren, using various fabrics – some fine old white linen, a little embroidered silk, some pale pink flower-patterned satin … stabilising and setting-in the knits to the fabric was a little stressful, but successful, I think.

I hand-stitched the quilting, keeping myself to 4 colours of thread – pink, gold, green and white, because I didn’t want to distract too much from the knits or the other detail – over the top of each quilt square is embroidered the name and date of birth of each of the children and grandchildren.

Because this was so personal to this lady, we decided to incorporate some letters from her mother to her children …. embroidering that amount of script would have been a herculean task, that I’d probably still be working at, so instead I scanned and printed sections of the letters onto printable cotton.

These got cut and stitched together, and form small strips in between the main squares …. and a single, entire letter on a slim bias tube running around the central square. Cross stitch over the top holds everything together (it’s all slip-stitched as well).

I really enjoyed making this … the only not-so-fun part was the printable cotton – it was terribly unfriendly to hand-sew, so I don’t think I’ll be using it again.

The result is gorgeous, and I’m so pleased to have these photos of it in-situ (particularly as I forgot to take photos myself before I sent it off!!), and to see it being used on an everyday basis.