After a couple of projects I was asked not to share, it’s lovely to be back, and with a gorgeous quilt (if I do say so myself ).
This time, a keepsake memory quilt for a little girl, made from her baby clothes ….. lots of fresh, pretty colours to work with ….
The beginning always feels like a herculean task …. for a twin (single) bed size of quilt, 208 4.5″ squares are needed ….. and when I’m dealing with sleepsuits in stretch jersey, that means that the vast majority of them need to be interfaced first ……
But we get there in the end, and then it’s a matter of arranging them all ….. this is the tricky part! And this time I was asked for a random layout with no obvious pattern to it – which presents its own challenges. The simplest way, I’ve found, is to sort all the pieces into lights, darks, and mediums (pieces that could be light or dark, depending on positioning), and take it from there.
Not all pinks are equal, so not all pinks will sit happily next to each other, and with this quilt there were some strong contrast pieces , so it took a fair while to arrive at a happy balance. But once we got there, it went quite quickly …
I make the individual squares up into 12″ blocks, and then piece the blocks together … over time, I’ve found it’s the method that works best for me ….
Blocks and blocks …..
Until we have a complete quilt top …. and on to backing, batting and basting. I use a temporary fabric adhesive spray to hold everything together, and then run a basting line with the machine at 12″ intervals vertically and horizontally to hold everything in place before I start into the quilting …..
This time, an all over meandering stipple …. fairly large scale, because we wanted to end up with a fairly soft, puffy quilt ….
A simple foldover binding, and an edging of hot fuschia-pink ribbon, and we’re done.
Years and years of happy snuggles …..