Anthriscus II

More work in progress for the Anthriscus piece …

With the background panel finished, it was time to start on the foreground embroidery:

The organza was just too sheer, so I replaced it with tulle … which brought its own set of problems, since the hexagonal structure was too open for the detail embroidery of the flowers themselves.

I made an ink drawing of the foreground first, and laid it underneath the tulle as a guide. The stems were straightforward enough … running stitch through the tulle, with the ends darned back in:

To make the flowers, I appliqued organza over the tulle, basting it in place …

And then for the fine embroidery … a combination of miniscule wheatear stitch, fern stitch, fly stitch and the occasional french knot … serious eye-trauma with all that translucent shimmering organza over hexagonal tulle, and back-ache to boot. But worth it, I think:

The organza got trimmed right back, and the basting stitches were removed once the flower itself was finished. There was a point where I thought I was never going to finish …. no matter how fast I embroidered, there always seemed to be a vast expanse still awaiting cover. But I got there in the end, and once I’d finished the frame with some strips of leather from an old coat, I was *so* pleased with the result.

It’s been submitted, so now I’m hanging on waiting to hear if I’ve made the exhibition. Fingers crossed.

4 responses to “Anthriscus II

  1. Anthriscus II is a most amazing textile piece. Love the technique. Beautful work.

  2. That is gorgeous! I love the organza on top of the tulle — brilliant thinking, and lovely outcome.

    Crossing my fingers for you in the exhibition!

  3. Thanks! I’m really hoping …. and having seen your gorgeous embroidery, it means a lot to me that you like it.

  4. This is absolutely beautiful. I think you deserve to get it in the exhibition!! The stitching on top of the tulle is very classy.

I'd love to hear from you! Let me know what you think ....